
"I have a dream..."
Everyone knows about M.L. King's very famous speech starting with this very famous sentence "I have a dream...". This speech has been inspiring people for more than 50 years now. Among them there is of course actual American President Obama. The Dutch deep house DJ Bakermat was one of them too. One of his most famous song is called "Vandaag" which means today in Dutch. I love this song mixing electronic music, saxophones and famous sentences of the "I have a dream" speech.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzCWGGG2gQc
Luther's speech reached almost everyone all over the world. We, Europeans, do not know all the details of American history but most of us have at least heard of the Civil Rights Movement. Black people had to wait until the 60s to be treated as any other white American citizen. The "New Deal" from Roosevelt profiting everyone and the commitment of black soldiers during WWII helped getting Black people their rights. Slavery was officially abolished with the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution (December 1865)but slavery was not done away with in the American slave States.
The whole world made at some point mistakes and mistreated people from different origins. Lots of Europeans were cruel to the people in the colonies, some Americans tolerated slavery for way too long, Apartheid tore apart a whole nation for 46 years ! I hope that we will all keep in mind this wise speech and never repeat those mistakes again although racism seems to be more and more present nowadays.
No comments:
Post a Comment